AFP / pic www.bmwblog.com
Malaysia’s Grand Prix will go ahead as planned this month despite the national crisis over a missing airliner, but proceedings will be more subdued out of respect, the organiser said Monday.
“Whatever it is, Formula One will go on and the concert after that will proceed but we will be sensitive and not go overboard,” said Razlan Razali, chief executive of the Sepang International Circuit where the annual race and subsequent musical extravaganza are held.
The race is set for March 30.
The Sepang circuit is next to Kuala Lumpur International Airport, from where Malaysian authorities are coordinating an international effort to find missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370.
The plane disappeared early in the morning of March 8 with 239 passengers and crew aboard, spawning a massive international search across Southeast Asia and the Indian Ocean that has so far turned up no trace of wreckage from the Boeing 777.
Malaysia Airlines also has housed anxious relatives of passengers in a pair of hotels not far from the airport as they await news.
“People are not in the mood for an event like this. Everywhere, be it on radio, newspaper, TV or social media, it is all about finding MH370,” Razlan said.